Storybook Plan

I decided to do a Storybook for my project, and I'm focusing on interesting birth stories from the Mahabharata. I am mainly focusing on the women characters of the Mahabharata, but I will be looking into all birth stories and adapting them to this idea. I was given the idea to start off my introduction to my storybook by retelling Ganesha's birth story since he is the transcriber of the Mahabharata, and definitely has an interesting story of how he was concieved. Though, Ganesha's birth story is not in the Mahabharata, it would still be a good introduction, and give readers some backround into one of the most important people in creating the Mahabharata.

I am definitely going to write about the birth of Satyavati because it is so random and interesting. I'm thinking of doing a modern adaptation of the sperm falling out of the flying car that impregnated the fish that Satyavati came from, and making it about IVF or possibly a surrogate situation. I'm still trying to work out the details, but I am thinking I might keep the same names of the characters.

Another story I definitely want to incorporate in my storybook is the birth story oDraupadi. This story has so much to it which is why I think it would be so fun to write about. Since Draupadi and her brother were born from a ritual, I think it would be fun to put a witchcraft twist on it, or a Hansel and Gretel type of feeling. I also wanted to incorporate Shashthi in my storybook some how, but I wasn't sure where since she isn't in the Mahabharata. But, I was thinking since she is the goddess of child birth and reproduction, I could have her be the one performing the ritual, or witchcraft. 


An image of Shashthi, the goddess of child birth. She is essential in helping women concieve, and protecting children.
Image Source: Shashthi

All in all, I don't think I want there to be a connection throughout all the stories in my Storybook. These stories have so much potential, and I don't want to limit myself in trying to make them fit in with each other. I do think an overarching theme could be unusual or supernatural births, and the power of women. I want to get across the message that women are strong, and no birth story is the same. Bringing a life into this world is special, and women have the choice to have children however they want. Whether it's a natural birth, IVF, a ritual birth, accidental pregnancy, choosing adoption, choosing to put your child up for adoption, or choosing not to have children, there are many things that go into having children and being a woman and I'd like to highlight that. 

Comments

Popular Posts