My Storybook Favorites

After reading through past students' storybooks, I picked out my top 3 favorite storybooks to share with you. My 3 favorites are Ghost Stories, Swa-Shakti: The Year of Women's Empowerment, and Supernatural Women.
This photo is from Ghost Stories and emphasizes the need to seek the truth. Magnifying Glass

Ghost Stories

The first storybook that caught my eye is titled, Ghost Stories. The first thing I saw upon opening the storybook was an erie looking photo of the Bizzell Library on campus, which then made me really excited to read what this story was going to be about. As I began reading the introduction, the author explained that the University of Oklahoma has an unsettling past of hauntings and tragedies that have happened on campus. The authors goal was clear as they wanted to spread the truth about these spooky events to students instead of turning a blind eye and dismissing the stories. I definitely thought there could've been a little more flare, and even more pictures of and around the campus area to point out where these events might've happened. I never thought of creating ghost stories for my storybook, but it is definitely a possibility floating around in my mind now.
This photo is from a Women's March. This powerful demonstration goes along with the themes in Swa-Shakti.Women's Empowerment Rally
Swa-Shakti

The second storybook that peaked my interest was Swa-Shakti. I loved clicking on the link and seeing the bright, beautiful smiles of the women in the introduction photo as well as the color scheme of the entire blog. This gives me a lot of ideas on photos and colors to consider when making my own storybook. I also like that the author explained why they named their blog the way they did, and that their stories are modern interpretations of womens experiences in the Ramayana and the Mahabharata. The introduction was short, yet extremely informative. I loved reading the modernized stories and the explainations that the author included at the end of each of their stories. Overall, this blog gave me so many new ideas in terms of content and color scheme to work with.

This photo is from the story Ulupi the Naga Princess. Tumblr

Supernatural Women in Indian Epics

Another storybook that was extremely interesting was Supernatural Women in Indian Epics. I loved that the author saw that there was not much emphasis on women in Indian Epics, and decided to make their whole blog on those who deserve more recognition than they have recieved in the past. This certainly influenced me to try to pay attention to the lesser known or background characters in the stories we read, so that I could possibly shed some light, and give these entities the attention they deserve. I also noticed the more graphic art style that the author of the storybook used throughout their blog. It seemed like the author really took the time to pair the background art effectively to where it would flow from one story to the next. I will pay more attention to the asthetic of my blog and style of my storytelling after reading this piece.

Comments

Popular Posts