Biography: The Struggling Empath

A visual depiction of human connection through empathy.
Image Source:Empath


Empathy
My strength and weakness,
I listen more and speak less.
When others get stressed
There is pain in my chest
And in my stomach,
Thoughts start to plummet
Down like rain.

I try to help,
But it’s not working
Feelings
Deep inside me lurking.
Who am I?
What is my purpose?
There has to be more 
Than just this surface
Level connection 
Between people with no direction.
Craving more affection,
Recollections of memories
I’d rather forget.

Is it time, yet?
Time to go?
Time for me to let them know
How much pain I feel from their problems
When I am unable to solve them.
Empathy is more than feeling,
At times, it can be healing.
Reeling in my emotions to help,
At the detriment to my own health.
No more.



 Author's Note:

This story is about my struggle with having healthy boundaries as an empath or highly sensitive person. I have goals to become a therapist, so I have to learn how to properly separate my emotions from my work. With friends and family, it is a little more difficult. Hearing stuggles that my loved ones go through on a day-to-day basis is sometimes hard to hear, and I don't always know the right things to say or have all the answers. When I can help, I feel magical, but when I can't it is very frustrating for me. I tend to let others do the talking and venting while I have the habit of bottling my problems up. This is a habit that I am actively trying to break. I have chosen to vent in this story/poem about this issue. I chose to write in sort of a free verse narrative style of poetry because I've been wanting to start writing and experimenting with it, so I thought, "why not".

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this Savanna. It really was an interesting read and I really got a sense that you put your heart and soul into this one. You connected your thoughts well and it flowed easily with emotion. I feel it really resonated to the point where I have some sense of the emotion behind the words while reading. Thanks for being so open about something personal. I know its hard for most of us to manifest our thoughts and feelings into something for someone else to comprehend, but I think you did a magnificent job in conveying this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Savanna!
    WOW! After browsing through the blog feed, I had not seen something as poetic until now. You are an amazing poet! Because poems entail more abstract concepts, I think the author's note is an essential piece to this work to explain your inspiration for these emotions. I need to make an attempt to rewrite a story through prose or poems. You are so talented. Looking forward, I would also include the original story and source in which you were given this idea! That way, we can analyze both pieces of work to compare and contrast. Can't wait to read more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the last 5 weeks, I have talked about how amazing the poetry is in the Ramayana. I wanted to try myself, but I lack the words. You however, have absolutely killed it. Your poetry was fantastic. So eloquent and it had such a beautiful rhythm. Please do more poetry in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts